Joy as 80-year-old cyclist’s bike is recovered after theft from outside Stowmarket Library
A keen 80-year-old cyclist says he is “absolutely delighted” after his stolen bike – which was taken from outside Stowmarket Library – was recovered.
Brian Rowson, from Harleston, left his “prized possesion” bicycle outside the library in Milton Road North on Friday, October 13, while he went inside for five minutes.
When he came out, his modified Edison bicycle, which was used for various fundraising cycles – including a 2,200-mile ride around England – was gone.
The news of the recovery came after police reissued an appeal for the bike, which they believed may have been discarded in Hollingsworth Road later on October 13.
The area was searched by officers but the bike was not located.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Rowson said he received an email from the police on Thursday night to say the bicycle – which he has travelled around 40,000 miles on – had been recovered.
Mr Rowson said: “I’m astounded, I had given up. I honestly didn’t think I would ever see it again.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 3 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 4 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 6 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 7 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 8 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 9 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
- 10 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
“I’m absolutely delighted and would like to thank the local police who have done their best. They said some of the accessories were missing, but the bike is in one piece.
“It’s one of my prized possessions and I always tell people my family comes first, but my bike comes second.
“It’s like a friend to me, I’ve been so many miles on it. It knows my bottom very well.”
Mr Rowson has completed many cycling events, including the London to Brighton ride and his fundraising ride around England raised £8,000 for the Stowmarket Lions and the British Heart Foundation.
He is planning to cycle more than 250 miles from Liverpool to Felixstowe next year.
“Liverpool is a city I have never spent any length of time, and I will be using the National Cycle Network paths for the journey.”
Mr Rowson said he has not yet received his bike back from the police but hoped to pick it up soon.
On Thursday, Suffolk police reissued their appeal for the community’s help in locating Mr Rowson’s bike.
They said a 17-year-old boy from Stowmarket has been subsequently charged with theft of a pedal cycle in connection with the incident.
He is due to appear before Ipswich Youth Court on Thursday, November 16.