Joy for safety campaigners as roundabout plans for A120 at Little Bentley confirmed
- Credit: Archant
The Highways Agency has revealed plans to install a roundabout on the A120 near Little Bentley.
Design work for the roundabout at the junction with Harwich Road is going ahead agency officials have told safety campaigners.
There have long been calls for a roundabout on the stretch of road at either accident blackspot of Harwich Road or Pellens Corner.
More detailed proposals are set to be revealed in the Spring at a public information session once surveys have established the alignment of the feature, and any necessary land purchases.
Mick Page, leader of Tendring District Council, said: “It is very good news that the scheme for a roundabout is progressing so well as this is what we have been pressing for over a considerable period of time. It means we have a positive programme on the table going forward which is what we have been looking for all along.
You may also want to watch:
“It seems the agency has taken our views on board in reaching its decision and we will continue to work with them to address all the key issues surrounding the A120 in our district.”
The roundabout plans follow the introduction of a new 50mph speed limit along the stretch of road in December, which have generally been complied with say the Highways Agency.
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 See inside abandoned hotel with swimming pool as it goes up for auction
- 10 'This club is going to be flying next season' - Dyer on 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury and Vincent-Young injury
Bernard Jenkin, MP for Harwich and north Essex, added: “Local residents say the speed cameras are having a positive effect, but the danger remains to motorists and closure of the gaps at both the Harwich Road junction and Pellens Corner are essential in addressing this.
“I know this may inconvenience local people, involving diversions to Horsley Cross or to the new Harwich Road roundabout, but we only get the safety benefits if the Highways Agency also closes the gap at Pellens Corner.
“We are close to having this dangerous stretch of road addressed and I am not prepared to argue for anything that could continue to claim lives and cause injuries.”
Andy Jobling, Highways Agency asset development manager, said: “We have designed a scheme to improve access and road safety on the A120 with a roundabout and met with stakeholders to discuss our proposals.
“We intend to locate the roundabout at the Harwich Road junction, as this will help to reduce collisions on the A120 and provide better access to the A120.
“We continue to work on the design of this scheme and hope to hold a public information event in the Spring to share our proposals with local residents.”