Joyrider goaded police, court hears

A DRUNKEN joyrider caused an estimated £50,000 of damage in a 100mph police chase and then asked if his antics would be on TV, a court heard.

A DRUNKEN joyrider caused an estimated £50,000 of damage in a 100mph police chase and then asked if his antics would be on TV, a court heard.

Terrance Stocks, 18, went on the rampage across Essex and Suffolk, ramming a police car in the process after stealing his mum's car on September 1.

After taking the Ford Mondeo, the teenager burst into Clacton Police Station and goaded officers to chase him, Chelmsford Crown Court was told.

They pursued him at speeds of around 100mph as he weaved across lanes to stop them getting past.

Even when he lost a tyre he still drove as fast as he could with sparks flying from the wheel, the court heard

Stocks, from Colchester, finally pulled over just north of Ipswich. The court heard that when he tried to flee, police stopped him with a Tasar stun gun.

Most Read

He was handed a 12 month prison sentence and banned from driving for three years.

Richard Stevens, prosecuting, told how Stocks took the car from his mother's home in Colchester at about 11pm.

He said: “It seems that at Clacton Police Station just before 12.30am, a young male went into the premises and said he had stolen a car and immediately ran out again.

“He got to the A120 at the Ardleigh Interchange and went onto the A12 towards Ipswich.

“Police officers in pursuit were following him and they noticed they were having to drive at approximately 100mph and the defendant's vehicle was weaving across both lanes of the dual carriageway.”

The court was told that when the car entered a 30mph zone, Stocks continued to drive at 60mph, swerving onto the wrong side of the road.

Mr Stevens said: “On one occasion the defendant clipped the kerb causing the nearside tyre to puncture.”

The police car eventually managed to overtake Stocks' car on a slip road but the defendant rammed into the back of the car and tried to get past, the court heard.

Officers managed to force the car to stop but Stocks leapt out and jumped onto the bonnet of the car.

Mr Stevens said: “He climbed on the police vehicle with fists clenched and shouting.

“His comments included 'Am I going to be on telly? How many of you lot did it take? How many cars did I take out?' The comments were made whilst laughing.”

A breath test revealed he had 73 mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath - more than double the drink-drive limit.

The £50,000 relates to alleged damage to the police vehicle. Two officers suffered injuries to their back and neck.

Stocks admitted drink-driving, aggravated vehicle taking without consent, driving while disqualified and having no insurance at Colchester Magistrates' Court last month.

Hendrika Plomp, mitigating, said Stocks was a fully qualified chef but currently unemployed and had begun abusing alcohol at the end of 2007.

She said he had explained his behaviour as a cry for attention after being disowned by his father and said he was “genuinely remorseful”.

But sentencing Stocks to 12 months in jail, Judge Anthony Goldstaub QC said the offences were so serious they demanded a prison sentence.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter