Jury considers its verdict in trial of man accused of robbery with fake gun

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: GREGG BROWN

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: GREGG BROWN - Credit: Gregg Brown

The jury in the trial of a man accused of robbing a man in the corridor of a Suffolk block of flats while allegedly pointing a replica Glock handgun at him is expected to continue its discussions tomorrow.

Before Ipswich Crown Court is Ben McRoberts, 29, of no fixed address, who has denied robbery, possessing an imitation firearm and having a knife.

During McRoberts’ two day trial the court has heard that James Beswick went to a block of flats in Surrey Street, Lowestoft with Ben McRoberts on March 7 this year to get drugs, but when they got there McRoberts allegedly took him to a corridor where there were no CCTV cameras.

McRoberts allegedly took a gun out of a sports bag and pointed it at Mr Beswick while ordering him to empty his pockets, said Jane Oldfield, prosecuting.

Mr Beswick was frightened and allegedly handed over £21 in cash, a lighter, his mobile phone, a bank card, and when asked he also gave McRoberts the PIN for the card, the court heard.

Mc Roberts then allegedly instructed Mr Beswick to follow him for a couple of minutes before letting him go on his way.

Mr Beswick had subsequently reported the alleged robbery to the police.

Most Read

Three days later on March 10 police found McRoberts sitting on a wall close to his father’s home in Raglan Street, Lowestoft.

Officers arrested him and close to where he was sitting they allegedly found a kitchen knife and a replica Glock pistol, said Miss Oldfield.

She said that when the gun was examined it was found that it couldn’t be fired.

When McRoberts was searched after being taken to a local police station he was found in possession of a mobile phone which Mr Beswick identified as the one taken from him during the alleged robbery at the flats in Surry Street.

When McRoberts was interviewed by police he was asked about the alleged robbery and the knife and the gun found near him and he answered “no comment” to all questions put to him, said Miss Oldfield.

McRoberts chose not to give evidence during his trial.

The jury retired yesterday to consider its verdict and is expected to return to court to continue its deliberations today.