Kate set to lose her pink locks in memory of her mum
- Credit: Archant
Kate Nears, a member of staff at Mill Lane Nursing Home in Felixstowe, is getting ready to ‘brave the shave’ for Macmillan Cancer Support after losing her mother to the disease.
Kate is an activities coordinator at the nursing home and will be having her head shaved to raise funds and awareness for the charity.
She will be going under the shaver’s blade on Saturday 6th October at the home and will be supported by residents and staff who are helping her fundraising efforts.
The home’s hairdresser, Andrea Windell, will be carrying out the shave with help from home manager John Savage. An afternoon tea will then be held for residents and their relatives, with entertainment from a local musician.
Kate decided to take part in the MacMillan ‘Brave the Shave’ campaign in memory of her mum, Frances, who sadly died from cancer on Christmas Eve 1983 at the age of just 49. Kate’s sister has also lost two partners to cancer.
You may also want to watch:
Home manager John Savage said; “We’re all very proud of Kate for planning this brave event, I’m sure she’s very nervous but she’s so determined to go ahead with the shave and to raise as much awareness and money as possible.
“I would urge lots of people to donate to her fundraising page and to pop over to the home on October 6 to enjoy tea and cake with our residents and to congratulate Kate.”
- 1 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 2 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 3 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 5 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 6 Judge won't play for Ipswich again this season as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 7 Mark Ashton: The 'divisive' figure with a track record for promotion and profits
- 8 Peter Andre visits Ipswich for post-lockdown haircut
- 9 Goalkeeping coach Walker leaves Town as Cook bids to 'freshen things up'
- 10 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
Donations can be made at https://bravetheshave.macmillan.org.uk/shavers/kate-nears.
Mill Lane Nursing Home, which is part of the Healthcare Homes Group, is based on the corner of Mill Lane and Garrison Lane in Felixstowe. Kate will be having her hair shaved at 2pm and the afternoon tea will be held at 3pm.