Keira Campaign raising eye test awareness off to flying start
- Credit: Su Anderson
A campaign to raise awareness of the importance of regular eye tests and raise funds for charity has got off to a bright start.
Keira Dixon and her family, from Sible Hedingham, teamed up with opticians Wardale Williams last month to launch the Keira Campaign.
Keira, 17, was diagnosed with a brain tumour in February last year after optometrist Greg Hybel spotted signs of it during an eye test at the Halstead branch of the opticians.
Keira was referred to hospital and had surgery within five days.
As well as raising awareness the campaign is raising funds for children’s cancer charity CLIC Sargent, which is supporting Keira.
So far more than £1,600 has been collected through sponsorship for Keira’s brother Jamie who is doing the London Marathon this month, £250 from Wardale Williams plus donations made at its branches in Halstead and Sudbury.
You may also want to watch:
The campaign is now being widened to its branch in Haverhill and sister company Observatory the Opticians, which has branches in Southwold, Beccles and Ipswich.
Amanda Dixon, Keira’s mother, said: “I am delighted the campaign has got off to such a good start and we hope to raise as much money as possible for CLIC Sargent who have been a fabulous support to Keira.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 6 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 7 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 8 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 9 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 10 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
“However, we want to raise awareness of the importance of having regular eye examinations because if the signs had not been spotted by Greg when they had Keira might not be here now.”
Donate at a branch or at Jamie’s JustGiving page.