Labour MP stabbed, woman arrested
21 year-old man arrested
SENIOR Labour MP Stephen Timms was left covered in blood after a woman stabbed him twice in the stomach during a constituency advice surgery, witnesses said tonight.
Mr Timms, 54, was said to be in ``good spirits’’ as he recovered in hospital
after the incident at the Beckton Globe library in Kingsford Way, east London.
A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said police were called to the scene at 3.20pm.
You may also want to watch:
She said: ``A 21-year-old woman was arrested at the scene and is currently in
custody at an east London police station.’’
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 4 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 5 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 6 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 10 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
It is understood one of the MP’s assistants, Andrew Bazeley, disarmed the woman before a security guard restrained her.
A spokeswoman for Barts and the London NHS Trust said: ``Stephen Timms MP was taken to the Royal London this afternoon after being stabbed in the abdomen and is in a stable condition.’’
A 16-year-old student said she saw Mr Timms being carried into a room wearing a blood-stained shirt.
Speaking outside the library, the girl, who did not wish to be named, said: ``I
saw an Asian woman and a security guard was holding her. `I saw everyone screaming and there was a woman with a buggy who was really crying.
``There was a bit of blood on the floor. It was quite dramatic. I saw him being
dragged into another room. There was blood on his shirt.’’
Sir Robin Wales, the elected Mayor of Newham, said: ``My understanding is there was an appointment made for the woman. At the beginning of the interview she stabbed him.
``The security guard came in and disarmed her and held her until the police
Sir Robin, who has known Mr Timms for more than 20 years, said he spoke to the MP tonight.
He said he understood Mr Timms was stabbed twice with a knife and was due to undergo exploratory surgery.
Acting Labour leader Harriet Harman and Prime Minister David Cameron were among those sending their best wishes to Mr Timms and his wife, Hui-Leng Lim.
Mr Timms has been MP for the constituency - and previously for Newham North East - since 1994.
The former financial secretary to the Treasury has regularly spoken out against
knife crime in his constituency, particularly among young people.