Labour steps up investigation into former Essex student’s ‘inappropriate behaviour’ allegations against MP Kelvin Hopkins
- Credit: PA
Labour officials have today stepped up their investigations into allegations of inappropriate behaviour against two MPs.
The party announced this afternoon that it would be referring Ivan Lewis and Kelvin Hopkins to their constitutional committee for a full hearing into complaints lodged against them.
Former shadow culture secretary Mr Hopkins has denied allegations made against him by Ava Etemadzadeh.
The 27-year-old claims the MP for Luton North acted inappropriately and sent her suggestive text messages after they met at an event at the University of Essex in 2014.
Ms Etemadzadeh was chair of the university’s Labour society at the time.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hopkins was reprimanded after Ms Etemadzadeh initially complained in 2015, but was later promoted by Jeremy Corbyn to his shadow cabinet.
The long-serving left-winger, 76, is now suspended from the party pending investigation of Ms Etemadzadeh’s complaint.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder