Lackford: 400 tonnes of compostable waste are on fire
FIREFIGHTERS are tackling a blaze involving 400 tonnes of compostable waste at a landfill site.
The call came in to the fire service at about 12.47pm about a fire at Lackford Landfill Site in Bury Road, Lackford.
One fire engine from Mildenhall was sent and as soon as they arrived they requested another fire engine and a water bowser.
A further fire engine from Bury St Edmunds and the water bowser from Newmarket were sent.
An update at 1.18pm said an area of compostable waste measuring 50m by 20m was well alight and one jet was in use.
Then at 1.49pm jets were supplemented by a water bowser.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-0 Bolton loss
- 6 McKenna on Walton, Bonne and signing a new defender after Nsiala exit
- 7 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
- 8 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 9 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 10 'Concentration is massive' - McKenna on Town's 2-0 Bolton loss