Lakenheath: F-15 from RAF Lakenheath causes tremor in Welsh town after smashing sound barrier
- Credit: Archant
An F-15 fighter pilot from RAF Lakenheath gave residents in a Welsh town a rude awakening on Monday when he accidentally caused a sonic boom.
The pilot blasted through the 761mph sound barrier to send tremors through Aberystwyth, smashing windows and dislodging ceiling tiles in the process.
A spokesman for the USAF base said several aircraft were in the area performing an air-to-air training mission when the incident took place.
“We can confirm that an aircraft from RAF Lakenheath is likely to have been responsible for the sonic boom reported over Aberystwyth.
“At that time, several F-15E Strike Eagle aircraft were conducting a challenging air-to-air training mission. Typically, this would be carried out over water but the airspace to be used was lost to us and the jets were re-routed to the Wales Military Training Airspace.
You may also want to watch:
“During the course of the training exercise, near the coast and in the vicinity of Aberystwyth, one of the aircraft, already travelling at high speed, inadvertently and briefly went supersonic at around 18,000 feet and in the process was likely to have caused the noise that was reported online.
“We offer our sincerest apologies for any disturbance or concern that this may have caused. We continue to emphasise airspeed restrictions in our pre-flight briefings to minimise the possibility of inadvertently breaching the sound barrier.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 9 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
A number of residents took to Twitter to report the sonic boom, with some fearing a bomb had been dropped on the town.