Landowner fined £17K for renting field out for Stansted Airport parking
- Credit: Archant
A man has been fined £17,500 for renting his land out for Stansted Airport related parking.
David Murnane was charged with failure to comply with an enforcement notice, issued by Uttlesford District Council (UDC) on February 10, 2014.
This took effect on March 14, 2014 and required him to cease the use of his agricultural land at Fuller’s End for airport related parking by April 15, 2014.
Mr Murnane rented the field adjacent to his property to two companies, Car Storage Ltd and Stansted Car Storage Ltd, receiving £600 per month from them.
Up to 150 vehicles had been stored in the field at various times.
Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court convicted Mr Murnane of failing to comply with the enforcement notice on April 20, 2015. He was sentenced on June 4.
The magistrates based the value of the fine on Mr Murnane’s declaration regarding the income he had received, and reminded him that the payments are priority debts.
- 1 'Inspiring and brilliant' Suffolk pilot, 21, died from an infected insect sting
- 2 Ex-Town duo sign for League One rivals
- 3 Revealed: The sell-on fee Town are set to receive for Downes
- 4 Suffolk school unveils plans for new fitness suite and cafe
- 5 Best friends take over popular café in 'just heavenly' setting
- 6 Woman rescued after being swept out to sea off Suffolk coast
- 7 Much-loved Stowmarket shop to re-open at new premises
- 8 Inside Suffolk’s best café - where there’s a cake cupboard!
- 9 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 10 Tractor Girl Peake makes history with Saints move
In addition to the fine, Mr Murnane was ordered to pay costs of £2,842.85 and a victim surcharge of £120.
Derek Jones, lead member for enforcement at UDC, said: “It is pleasing to see that inappropriate activity of this sort will not go unpunished. It will serve to renew the warning to others who may try and flaunt the law, that the council will take action.”
Mr Murnane has appealed the decision to the Crown Court.