Last chance for abuse victims
The victims of two serial East Anglian child abusers are being given a last chance to come forward.People who want to make claims against Keith Laverack and Marc Kelsey have until the end of the month to do so.
The victims of two serial East Anglian child abusers are being given a last chance to come forward.
People who want to make claims against Keith Laverack and Marc Kelsey have until the end of the month to do so.
Laverack was jailed in 1997 for 18 years following one of Britain's biggest child abuse investigations. He was convicted of offences against children aged 11-16.
Kelsey, from Lakenheath, was murdered by nightclub bouncer Andrew Wright in a layby on Icklingham Road, near Mildenhall, in 1994.
You may also want to watch:
Fifty-five people in two waves of claims have already received damages following abuse by the two men. Cambridgeshire County Council has paid out £1.6m but has not admitted liability.
So far 27 people have come forward as part of the third wave. The cut-off date was August 31 but has been extended until October 31.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 9 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 10 Two cars set alight in two different streets
Andrew Grove, solicitor for the claimants, said: "It is important that victims know about the claim and that it is all right to come forward. They will be believed.
"It can take a long time for victims of sexual abuse to have the courage to make the necessary disclosures and arbitrary cut-off dates can be very unfair. If people miss the cut-off date they should still come forward and make contact with us."
Mr Grove said that new evidence suggested that a list of 1700 victims was found in Laverack's home in Wilburton, Cambridgeshire.
He said: "If there are 1700 victims spread across the country then it is obvious that only a fraction have come forward."
Laverack worked in three Cambridgeshire care homes: Midfield Observation Centre, Oakington, Kneesworth House School, near Royston and Littleton House School, Girton, in the 1960s to 1980s.
Kelsey worked in Red House Great Shelford, between 1980 and 1982.
Mr Grove can be contacted on 01223 367133.