Lavenham gears up for popular annual Christmas fair
- Credit: Archant
A picture-postcard west Suffolk village will be turned into a winter wonderland from Friday as a three-day Christmas extravaganza kicks off.
Lavenham’s annual Christmas fair takes place across the entire village with a host of entertainment and attractions for all the family.
Organisers will be dressed in Dickensian costume and are encouraging visitors to the popular event to do the same.
All the festive fun will kick off in the Market Place on Friday, December 1, at 5.30pm, with the lighting of the village Christmas tree and the arrival of Father Christmas – who will be visiting Lavenham for the whole weekend.
Lesley Thompson, from the organising committee, said: “The weekend Christmas fair is a highlight of the village with Lavenham getting into the festive spirit for both villagers and tourists alike.
“A lot of hard work goes into the three-day event but it is the perfect way to start Christmas even earlier this year.”
Other attractions at the fair include more than 50 luxurious gifts, crafts and clothes stalls in marquees and the historic Guildhall – as well as the return of Lavenham Falconry and late-night shopping throughout the village.
- 1 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 2 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 3 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 4 Fire crews spend eight hours tackling north Suffolk field blaze overnight
- 5 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 6 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 7 'It's a very exciting time for us' - Suffolk golf club plans submitted
- 8 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 9 Stu says: Six observations following 1-0 win at Burton
- 10 5 fantastic village shops to visit in Suffolk
The Salvation Army Christmas tree festival will add to the festive spirit while there will be food and drink from some of East Anglia’s most exciting and innovative cooks to suit all tastebuds.
The fair will also see the return of the fairground big wheel – which gives a unique aerial view over the picturesque village.
A host of musical entertainment is planned for the weekend including a jazz band, Morris men and the return of the ever-popular D’Ukes.
A guided lantern walk around Lavenham will take place on Saturday afternoon as well as a grand raffle – with top prizes including short breaks at two of Lavenham’s renowned holiday cottages.
The fair will run between 5.30pm and 8.30pm on Friday, December 1, 11am and 5pm on Saturday, December 2, and 11am and 4pm on Sunday, December 3.
The event is free to attend and free parking is available throughout the village.
For more information, go to www.discoverlavenham.com or visit the fair’s very own Facebook page www.facebook.com/LavenhamChristmasFair.