Lavenham gears up for popular annual Christmas fair
- Credit: Archant
A picture-postcard west Suffolk village will be turned into a winter wonderland from Friday as a three-day Christmas extravaganza kicks off.
Lavenham’s annual Christmas fair takes place across the entire village with a host of entertainment and attractions for all the family.
Organisers will be dressed in Dickensian costume and are encouraging visitors to the popular event to do the same.
All the festive fun will kick off in the Market Place on Friday, December 1, at 5.30pm, with the lighting of the village Christmas tree and the arrival of Father Christmas – who will be visiting Lavenham for the whole weekend.
Lesley Thompson, from the organising committee, said: “The weekend Christmas fair is a highlight of the village with Lavenham getting into the festive spirit for both villagers and tourists alike.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of hard work goes into the three-day event but it is the perfect way to start Christmas even earlier this year.”
Other attractions at the fair include more than 50 luxurious gifts, crafts and clothes stalls in marquees and the historic Guildhall – as well as the return of Lavenham Falconry and late-night shopping throughout the village.
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 7 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 8 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 9 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 10 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop
The Salvation Army Christmas tree festival will add to the festive spirit while there will be food and drink from some of East Anglia’s most exciting and innovative cooks to suit all tastebuds.
The fair will also see the return of the fairground big wheel – which gives a unique aerial view over the picturesque village.
A host of musical entertainment is planned for the weekend including a jazz band, Morris men and the return of the ever-popular D’Ukes.
A guided lantern walk around Lavenham will take place on Saturday afternoon as well as a grand raffle – with top prizes including short breaks at two of Lavenham’s renowned holiday cottages.
The fair will run between 5.30pm and 8.30pm on Friday, December 1, 11am and 5pm on Saturday, December 2, and 11am and 4pm on Sunday, December 3.
The event is free to attend and free parking is available throughout the village.
For more information, go to www.discoverlavenham.com or visit the fair’s very own Facebook page www.facebook.com/LavenhamChristmasFair.