Lavenham shop voted ‘most loved bakery’ in East Anglia
- Credit: Anglia Picture Agency
A family of bakers who have been producing bread, cakes and pastries for more than half a century in their Suffolk village have won a prestigious award.
Sparling & Faiers, which operates from centuries-old premises in Lavenham’s Market Place, has been named the Most Loved Bakery in East Anglia.
The award was made as part of this year’s Craft Bakers’ Week, which celebrates baking skills across the UK. Customers were invited to vote for the local bakery they thought was the most deserving of the title.
Anne Faiers, who moved to the bakery with her parents Harry and Betty Sparling in 1952, now runs the shop with her two sons David Sparling and Richard Faiers. David’s wife Diane, who also worked in the bakery, passed away in August.
Mrs Faiers said: “When they called up to say we were the ‘most loved bakery’ in East Anglia I was really surprised. Diane would have been really proud too and it’s such a shame she’s not here to celebrate with us.
You may also want to watch:
“What we offer is different from the supermarkets, and bakeries like ours are few and far between these days.
“I think because we are in a village location people have got to know us really well and they like to have a chat about everything from their health to the weather when they come in to buy their bread.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 9 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 10 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
Sparling & Faiers also has two vans that make daily deliveries to independent farm shops and outlets within a 40-mile radius of Lavenham.
Mrs Sparling added: “People have their favourites. Our most popular item is not a cake – it’s our ‘granary pat’ – a round flat loaf marked into eight or 10 sections.”
There has been a bakery on the site in Lavenham since the 17th Century and the Hovis sign at the premises is more than 100 years old.