Lavenham shop voted ‘most loved bakery’ in East Anglia
- Credit: Anglia Picture Agency
A family of bakers who have been producing bread, cakes and pastries for more than half a century in their Suffolk village have won a prestigious award.
Sparling & Faiers, which operates from centuries-old premises in Lavenham’s Market Place, has been named the Most Loved Bakery in East Anglia.
The award was made as part of this year’s Craft Bakers’ Week, which celebrates baking skills across the UK. Customers were invited to vote for the local bakery they thought was the most deserving of the title.
Anne Faiers, who moved to the bakery with her parents Harry and Betty Sparling in 1952, now runs the shop with her two sons David Sparling and Richard Faiers. David’s wife Diane, who also worked in the bakery, passed away in August.
Mrs Faiers said: “When they called up to say we were the ‘most loved bakery’ in East Anglia I was really surprised. Diane would have been really proud too and it’s such a shame she’s not here to celebrate with us.
You may also want to watch:
“What we offer is different from the supermarkets, and bakeries like ours are few and far between these days.
“I think because we are in a village location people have got to know us really well and they like to have a chat about everything from their health to the weather when they come in to buy their bread.”
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 10 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
Sparling & Faiers also has two vans that make daily deliveries to independent farm shops and outlets within a 40-mile radius of Lavenham.
Mrs Sparling added: “People have their favourites. Our most popular item is not a cake – it’s our ‘granary pat’ – a round flat loaf marked into eight or 10 sections.”
There has been a bakery on the site in Lavenham since the 17th Century and the Hovis sign at the premises is more than 100 years old.