Man faces murder trial over death of stabbed pub landlord
- Credit: GOOGLE MAPS
A man is facing a murder trial following the death of an Essex pub landlord.
The body of Scott Gilhooly, 44, was found at The Swiss Bell Pub in Mountbatten Road, Braintree, on Sunday.
A post-mortem examination recorded his medical cause of death as stab wounds to the chest and neck, Essex Police said.
Lawrence Bourke, 23, appeared before Chelmsford Crown Court on Wednesday charged with the murder of Mr Gilhooly. The defendant, of Lister Road, Braintree, was not asked for a plea during the brief hearing.
He appeared at court in person, accompanied by two security officers both observing social distancing guidelines by standing two metres away, after difficulties with a videolink.
You may also want to watch:
Barristers for the prosecution and defence appeared via Microsoft Teams.
Judge Charles Gratwicke remanded Bourke in custody ahead of a plea hearing on July 15.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 7 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 8 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 9 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 10 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
He set November 2 as the provisional trial date.
Officers have also been carrying out patrols in the area and anyone with information is also urged to speak to them.
A spokesman for Essex Police said: “We are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding Mr Gilhooly’s death and anyone who has information that could assist with our inquiries is asked to call the North Major Crime Team on 101 or email email@example.com.”