Le Tour de France: Police warn of travel delays as the third stage of Le Tour makes its way from Cambridge to London via Saffron Walden and Chelmsford
- Credit: Archant
Drivers in East Anglia are being advised of road closures as the Tour de France passes through the region today.
The race, which attracted an estimated 2.5m fans during the opening two stages in Yorkshire over the weekend, will be making its way from Cambridge to London travelling through Saffron Walden and Chelmsford en route.
For live coverage, click here
Essex Police has urged drivers not to reply on their sat navs as some main roads, particularly in the west of the county, will be closed to make way for the riders during stage three of the race.
A force spokesman said: “Essex Police advise all road users to check the race route before starting their journeys and to plan alternative routes.”
The main arterial roads that lead to towns and villages along the route are the M11, A12, A414 and A120.
You may also want to watch:
Essex County Council has warned that these routes will be busy and advised travellers to allow plenty of time for their journeys.
Roads affected by the route will be closed for most of the day, while those nearby are expected to see more traffic than usual.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 10 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
Roads leading to the route will be ‘access only’, meaning you can travel on them but not onto the Tour de France route.
Roads along the route will be closed from:
Uttlesford and Braintree: 7.30am to 4pm
Chelmsford: 8am to 5pm
Epping Forest north of the A414: 8am to 5pm
Epping Forest south of, and including, the A414: 9am to 5pm
For more on Le Tour, click here