Lecture to focus on quirky buildings near Great Churchyard, in Bury St Edmunds
The history of the site on the edge of the Great Churchyard, in Bury St Edmunds, which is now a range of quirky buildings in the Victorian Tudor Gothic style, is the subject of a lecture by town historian Dr Pat Murrell.
“The Little Red Architectural Money Box and its Predecessors” is the title of the event which is being held on Saturday, December 2, at 10am, at the Suffolk Record Office, in Raingate Street.
She will be using original documents, many discovered in a London archive, and will be looking at the late Stuart and Georgian properties which previously stood there.
Now known as Norman Tower House the original Saving Bank building running parallel with the south side of the tower was designed by one of England’s leading Tudor Gothic architects Lewis Nockalls Cottingham and was completed in 1847.
It costs £7.50 and book at the office or telephone 01284 741212.