£4m leisure project aims to improve health and fitness of community
- Credit: Archant
Celebrations have been held to mark the completion of a £4million leisure project being hailed as a major investment in the future health of the local community.
East Suffolk Council chairman Colin Hedgley cut the ribbon, alongside special guest, Andrea Thompson, the World's Strongest Woman, to officially open the newly revamped Leiston Leisure Centre.
Mr Hedgley said: "Leiston first opened in 1975 with a sports hall and squash courts, the swimming pools were added in 1990 as a legacy from Sizewell B.
"Fast forward to 2019, this redevelopment is a major investment in the future health of the local community, and I think we have provided a fantastic facility that will serve the needs of Leiston and the surrounding area for the foreseeable future.
"Since the site reopened to the public we have had fantastic feedback from our customers. Knowing that people are responding so positively to their new centre makes all the hard work worth it."
You may also want to watch:
Jeremy Boreham, area manager at the council's partner Places Leisure, said: "Leiston Leisure Centre now has a great mix of facilities on offer - pool, gym, classes, indoor cycling, sauna/steam room, allowing us to provide varied programmes at affordable prices.
"Add in our passionate local staff who provide excellent customer service, and Leiston Leisure Centre is now a destination of choice. This is the place to be if you want to have fun while enjoying a healthier lifestyle."
- 1 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 2 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 5 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 6 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
Leiston Leisure Centre was closed in September 2018 to undergo the £4m refurbishment, and is the third project to be completed in East Suffolk Council's Leisure Programme to improve leisure facilities and encourage more people to become active and fit.
The facility was designed with the council's development partner, Pulse Design & Build.
Leiston Leisure Centre is the second facility to be redeveloped, following Deben Leisure Centre, which reopened in June 2018.
Bungay Leisure Centre is the third facility to be redeveloped and work has now started.
Councillors have also agreed to employ experts to draw up a business plan and create a design for a new edge-of-town 'destination' leisure complex at Felixstowe.