Cool crowd turns out for an ice weekend in Suffolk town
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk may have enjoyed an almost frost-free winter so far, but the big freeze descended on one town this weekend – and so did scores of visitors enticed by the ice.
Christmas came early to Leiston, where wintry entertainment included an artificial ice rink in the High Street car park.
Two large marquees accommodated market stalls, while Leiston Film Theatre hosted Santa’s grotto and a screening of Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.
The quintessentially festive sounds of the Royal British Legion Band rang out at regular intervals, along with performances by Alde Valley Academy Singing Club.
The two-day ‘Leiston on Ice’ event also featured a fun fair, food, entertainment on and off the rink, and the Christmas tree lights switch-on.
Monkeying around amongst the crowd was the film theatre’s own mischievous mascot, Cheeky the Chimp.
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 6 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 7 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 8 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 9 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
- 10 Major west Suffolk road reopens after two vehicle crash