Cool crowd turns out for an ice weekend in Suffolk town
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk may have enjoyed an almost frost-free winter so far, but the big freeze descended on one town this weekend – and so did scores of visitors enticed by the ice.
Christmas came early to Leiston, where wintry entertainment included an artificial ice rink in the High Street car park.
Two large marquees accommodated market stalls, while Leiston Film Theatre hosted Santa’s grotto and a screening of Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.
The quintessentially festive sounds of the Royal British Legion Band rang out at regular intervals, along with performances by Alde Valley Academy Singing Club.
The two-day ‘Leiston on Ice’ event also featured a fun fair, food, entertainment on and off the rink, and the Christmas tree lights switch-on.
You may also want to watch:
Monkeying around amongst the crowd was the film theatre’s own mischievous mascot, Cheeky the Chimp.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 7 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 8 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed