Polls open in Leiston for all-female candidate by-election
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Polling stations are opening in and around Leiston for today’s district council by-election, which features an all-female candidate list.
The successful candidate will become one of the ward’s two district councillors, taking the seat, which became vacant following the resignation of former Conservative councillor Ian Pratt.
Notice was given last month that a new councillor was being sought to represent the town at Suffolk Coastal District Council, inviting people to make nominations.
The four candidates are:
•Sammy Betson (Independent)
You may also want to watch:
•Freda Casagrande (Labour)
•Jules Ewart (Liberal Democrats)
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 3 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 4 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 7 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 8 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 9 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 10 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
•Susan Geater (Conservative)
Polling stations are open from 7am-10pm in Leiston Community Centre, the Long Shop Museum, Middleton Village Hall and Theberton Jubilee Community Hall.