Lib Dems scent victory across East Anglia
IPSWICH: Liberal Democrat canvassers were out in force in the town centre yesterday as the battle for this “must win” marginal was joined in earnest.
Leading the team with parliamentary candidate Mark Dyson was the party’s East of England Euro MP Andrew Duff, who said the regional campaign was goin “exceptionally well.”
As Mr Dyson and Mr Duff button-holded shoppers, a number approached the pair asking for information and details of policy promises.
“It will be an exciting campaign,” said Mr Duff. “Clearly the state of the economy is worrying voters, and there will be pain in Ipswich and elsewhere as Britain swallows painful measures to help the country out of the recession.
“Tourism officials in the county to whom I have spoken are very worried about the coming summer season and they are expecting a downturn.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We have a credible tax and spend policy and in Vince Cable we have the one politician whom the voters say they can trust.”
Mr Duff forecast that the Liberal Democrats would add to the three MPs from the East of England elected last time, saying he was optimistic at winning Norwich South and seats in Hertfordshire.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 6 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Former Town loanee joins McCarthy's Cardiff side
“These are good times to be a Liberal Democrat.”