Two people ‘unaccounted for’ after suspected gas explosion near Newmarket
- Credit: Archant
Two people are unaccounted for following a house blaze caused by a suspected gas explosion, firefighters have said.
Four crews are at the scene of the fire at The Street in Lidgate, which is between Newmarket and Clare.
Suffolk police are also at the scene.
Lidgate Street at the junction of the B1063 has been closed, along with the turn-off for Cowlinge.
The location of the two people is unknown and the fire service will be working alongside the police to investigate where they are.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said crews received reports of thick black smoke coming from the building just after midday.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said: "We were called by the fire service at 12.10pm to initial reports of a gas explosion in Lidgate.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 6 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 9 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 10 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point
"A number of officers are currently at the scene of the incident."