Lidl presses ahead with plans for new store in Witham
- Credit: Archant
Discount retailer Lidl is holding a public consultation event over its plans for a new store in Witham.
The chain hopes to create the shop in Bridge Street, on the site of the former Bramston Sports Centre, as part of its UK expansion plans – bringing a multi-million pound investment and up to 40 jobs to the Essex town.
Ahead of a planning application due to be submitted to Braintree District Council next month, Lidl is inviting residents to view the outline plans at an event next week.
Members of Lidl’s property team and planning consultants from JLL will be on hand at the Maltings Academy restaurant in Spinks Lane from 2.30-6.30pm on August 23.
The proposed new single-storey shop would include a in-store bakery, customer toilets, 122 car parking spaces, and a 1,325sqm sales area – with only a limited range of products stocked to encourage shoppers to ‘top-up’ at existing town centre stores.
Colin Rimmer, Lidl UK’s regional head of property, said: “We are extremely excited about the prospect of opening a Lidl in Witham and serving our fresh, quality and incredibly good value produce which shoppers across the country have come to love.
“We look forward to welcoming anyone along to the public consultation day and showcasing our plans whilst answering any questions.”
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 6 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 7 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 8 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 9 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 10 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
Lidl currently has 670 stores nationwide, but hopes to more than double this to 1,500 in the future.