WATCH: First look at multi-screen cinema and bowling alley at £70m retail park
- Credit: Corstorphine + Wright Architects
New artist’s impressions offer a first look at a multi-screen cinema and state-of-the-art bowling alley which are due to open at a leisure and retail park near Colchester next year.
National chain The Light, which has 10 cinemas across the UK, has been named as the firm operating the new cinema, set to create an estimated 70 jobs at Tollgate Village in Stanway.
The multiplex will showcase both mainstream and independent films - including live theatre, music, opera and ballet screenings, and have an adjoining bowling alley.
This latest step means the first work on the £70million development, which was subject to a long planning battle with detailed plans approved in November 2019, could be completed by 2021.
Daniel Watts and Jayne Gee, directors of Stanway-based Tollgate Partnership Limited, said: 'We are delighted to have reached agreement with The Light.
'We have been on the lookout for some time for the right company to work with, that would match our aspirations.
You may also want to watch:
'We were blown away by The Light's Stockport cinema and after meeting the co-founder, Keith Pullinger, we knew immediately that this was the perfect operator for Tollgate Village.
They added: 'The Light is exciting, innovative and forward-thinking brand and they understand our vision for the area.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 2 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 3 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 6 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 9 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 10 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
'We have had approaches from other leisure operators, restaurateurs and retailers for Tollgate Village and hope to be in a position to announce more brilliant news soon.'
MORE: Tollgate Village retail park to go ahead near Colchester after appealThe purpose-built cinema and bowling development are set to form the heart of the leisure hub on the south of Tollgate West.
A nearby plaza will also include restaurants and shops - while the other two development zones on the site will include upgrading facades of the existing shops at Tollgate Retail Park, new units and facilities on the former Sainsbury's site.
These will be the main shopping areas and will also include a promenade and a green pedestrian link to the southern leisure site.
MORE: Detailed plans revealed for £70m Tollgate Village leisure and retail parkKeith Pullinger of The Light said: 'We are extremely excited to be coming to Tollgate Village. Having thoroughly investigated the market, we are confident Tollgate Village is the ideal place for The Light - it is a superb, fully accessible location, with a wide range of public and private transport links, car parking and a host of restaurants already operating at Stanway.'
'The cinema experience we offer is second to none in terms of screens, sound, projection and seats.
'This, together with our kitchen, bar and the full-sized bowling offer, means we provide the complete evening out for families and people of all ages.'