Review: Little Mix bring the party to Colchester
- Credit: Archant
Little Mix fans couldn’t be disappointed with the Summer Hits tour in Colchester last night, it was packed full of favourites.
Whether you wanted songs from their early days or more recent hits, the globally successful girl band had it well and truly covered.
Perrie, Jesy, Jade and Leigh-Anne gave an energetic and fun performance, coming on stage at the JobServe Community Stadium slightly later than the billed 8.30pm start time, but once they got going with Touch, which then flowed into Reggaetón Lento no one cared.
The 1hr 20min performance was crammed with all the songs fans wanted to hear – and those who may not have been big fans (there were plenty of parents in the crowd who looked like they’d been dragged along by their children) would have known most of the set list – Wings, Shout Out to My Ex, Change Your Life and Secret Love Song were the highlights for me.
The band, who have now been together for eight years after being put together on ITV’s X-Factor in 2011, are a polished act. Their harmonies were slick and the range in their voices, Perrie’s in particular, was impressive.
You may also want to watch:
They get a hard time in the press for their “raunchy image” but they can sing – very well – and know how to put on a show for their young fans. The joy on so many young faces was infectious, everyone was having a great time (Little Mix included) and it was so good to see – the sun helped too.
The home of Colchester United was positively bouncing when Shout Out to My Ex and Power, which was the final song, were belted out by the girls. The firework finale was an impressive finish and summed up the atmosphere.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
Another real highlight of the evening were Rak-Su. Last year’s winners of X-Factor got the crowd in the mood for the headline act with their catchy original material which made them so popular during the 2017 series, including I’m Feeling You, Mona Lisa and Dimelo.
The way the friends get along and mess about on stage made you feel like you were part of the party too. Even though they haven’t released an album yet, I’m sure a successful career lies ahead for them.
Australian trio Germein were also fun and got the night off to a good start. All in all, this was a great show and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
* News outlets were unable to send photographers to the gig at the girls request. If you want to share your photos with us, email email@example.com