Latest travel updates as heavy snowfall sweeps into Suffolk and Essex
- Credit: Archant
Motorists on the roads this morning are being urged to take care as snow and ice overnight and this morning has caused tricky conditions.
Highways teams have been out gritting the main routes across the county, but many roads remain icy – particularly in residential and rural areas.
In Ipswich, Belle Vue Road has been closed as conditions there have been described as “impassable” by police officers.
READ MORE: Live Suffolk and Essex school closuresA force spokesman this morning said a car had got stuck this morning, and police were unable to reach the stricken motorist because of the ice and snow on the hill.
A highways team from Suffolk County Council has been called to the scene.
Officers have reported that there have been three other minor crashes across the county, all involving a single vehicle.
You may also want to watch:
On the trains this morning, nearly 1,000 Greater Anglia services have been cancelled because of the poor weather over the next couple of days.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 9 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
Greater Anglia has reported 996 cancelled services, with cancellations and disruptions on all routes across its network.
It includes services between Norwich and London, Ipswich-Peterborough and services to and from Cambridge.
Bosses reported that because of sub-zero temperatures this week and persistent snow forecasts, it is running a reduced service, with disruption expected until at least 2am on Saturday.
For today and Wednesday, there will be no service from Ipswich-Felixstowe and Ipswich-Lowestoft, Colchester-Colchester Town, Marks Tey-Sudbury, Norwich-Sheringham, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft.
A shuttle-only service is running between Braintree and Witham; Harwich and Manningtree; Marks Tey and Sudbury.
Services running less frequently than usual and at slower speeds are as follows:
Ipswich and Colchester-London
Ticket restrictions have been lifted while the disruption continues, allowing passengers to travel on earlier or later trains
Stay with us for live updates on travel throughout the day.