Latest travel updates as heavy snowfall sweeps into Suffolk and Essex
- Credit: Archant
Motorists on the roads this morning are being urged to take care as snow and ice overnight and this morning has caused tricky conditions.
Highways teams have been out gritting the main routes across the county, but many roads remain icy – particularly in residential and rural areas.
In Ipswich, Belle Vue Road has been closed as conditions there have been described as “impassable” by police officers.
READ MORE: Live Suffolk and Essex school closuresA force spokesman this morning said a car had got stuck this morning, and police were unable to reach the stricken motorist because of the ice and snow on the hill.
A highways team from Suffolk County Council has been called to the scene.
Officers have reported that there have been three other minor crashes across the county, all involving a single vehicle.
On the trains this morning, nearly 1,000 Greater Anglia services have been cancelled because of the poor weather over the next couple of days.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 2 'It's a contractual issue' - McKenna explains Simpson recall
- 3 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 4 Two incidents of indecent exposure within 20 minutes in Suffolk village
- 5 Town skipper Morsy handed four-game ban after Accrington charge
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich players performed in their 2-0 Wimbledon win
- 7 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Swans prepare 'six-figure bid' for Fraser
- 9 AFC Wimbledon 0-2 Ipswich Town: It's Burns Night as winger inspires win
- 10 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
Greater Anglia has reported 996 cancelled services, with cancellations and disruptions on all routes across its network.
It includes services between Norwich and London, Ipswich-Peterborough and services to and from Cambridge.
Bosses reported that because of sub-zero temperatures this week and persistent snow forecasts, it is running a reduced service, with disruption expected until at least 2am on Saturday.
For today and Wednesday, there will be no service from Ipswich-Felixstowe and Ipswich-Lowestoft, Colchester-Colchester Town, Marks Tey-Sudbury, Norwich-Sheringham, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft.
A shuttle-only service is running between Braintree and Witham; Harwich and Manningtree; Marks Tey and Sudbury.
Services running less frequently than usual and at slower speeds are as follows:
Ipswich and Colchester-London
Ticket restrictions have been lifted while the disruption continues, allowing passengers to travel on earlier or later trains
Stay with us for live updates on travel throughout the day.