London: Six arrested on terrorism charges
SIX people have today been arrested on suspicion of terrorism charges, police have said today.
Five men and a woman were detained on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism as part of a pre-planned intelligence-led operation by Scotland Yard’s counter terrorism command.
Police have said the arrests were not linked to the Olympics.
A 24-year-old man was tasered during his arrest, but did not require hospital treatment, a force spokesman added.
The six were taken to a south-east London police station, the force spokesman said.
A 29-year-old man was arrested in the street in west London, a 21-year-old man and the women were arrested at a separate residential premises in west London, and three other men, aged 18, 24, and 26, were arrested in east London.
“Searches under the Terrorism Act 2000 are being carried out at eight residential premises in east, west and north London and one business premises in east London,” the spokesman added.
- 1 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 2 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 Young driver crashes car just a week after passing
- 5 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 6 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 7 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
- 8 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 9 'Dream come true': Excitement as new salon opens in Woodbridge
- 10 Bakinson's the 'mini Pogba' who has been a big hit on loan before and will now look to prove the doubters wrong
“Public safety remains our overriding concern.”