Long Melford: Angler George Rowe shuts up shop after 20 years running Sudbury Angling in town centre
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Fishing enthusiast George Rowe has been passionate about the sport since he was a young boy.
So much so that in 1993, he turned his obsession into a business and opened an angling shop in Sudbury’s North Street.
Sudbury Angling became an immediate hit with the area’s fishing community, offering a meeting place and a centre for anyone with questions about the best fishing spots, techniques or local clubs.
But after 20 years and due to a number of factors, Mr Rowe, 71, has decided to hang up his fishing rod and close the store.
He told the EADT he regretted having to make the decision but he could no longer make the business pay.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Business started to slide in 2008 at the start of the recession but it has gradually got worse and the internet has taken more and more trade. The excessive business rates and rents have also played a part.
“Another big reason is that kids don’t seem to fish like we did when we were little because they prefer to play on their Xboxes.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 6 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
- 10 'Things might have been very different'... outgoing skipper Chambers reflects on that play-off season
“Technology seems to have taken over, which is a bit of a worry. It’s a shame because they are missing out on a great outdoor activity which will teach them about a lot of important things, like wildlife and conservation.”
When the news broke that the shop was closing, anglers took to Facebook to express their disappointment.
Customer Roger Fleming said: “It is sad news that Sudbury Angling – commonly known as “George’s” – has closed down. The shop will be sorely missed by most of the anglers in the area.”
Mr Rowe, from Long Melford, hopes retirement will enable him to spend more time on the riverbank doing what he loves.
He added: “I have met lots of friends over the years through the business. I’d really like to thank everyone who has supported me.”