Long Melford: School girl snaps winning fair picture
A PHOTOGRAPH taken by a local schoolgirl will be used to promote one of the county’s best-loved street events.
Lucy Hinde, 15, has been handed the honour after winning a competition run by the organisers of Long Meford Street Fair. They invited people attending this year’s fair, which took place in June, to take a snap with a view to it being reproduced on posters and flyers advertising next’s year’s event.
According to Richard Michette, a member of the organising committee, Lucy’s picture was chosen from around 20 entrants.
He said: “What we liked about the picture was it included a whole street of people and really captured the atmosphere of the event.”
He added that this year’s fair had been “highly successful” with an estimated 15,000 people attending the event throughout the day.
You may also want to watch:
Lucy, a pupil at Sudbury Ormiston Academy, also received a prize of �25 for her efforts and admitted she had gone to extraordinary lengths to capture her image.
She said; “There was a helter-skelter erected in the street and I thought it would be a good idea to take a picture from the top.
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 5 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 7 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 8 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 9 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 10 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
“I was really surprised when I heard my photo had been picked because there were lots of people walking around with huge cameras and mine is just a simple handheld camera. But I entered the competition anyway.”
Proud mum, Sarah, said: “We were thrilled when we found out because Lucy is a keen photographer and for it to be recognised is great for her.”
Lucy’s picture will be seen on posters around Long Meford ahead of next year’s street fair which is due to take place on Sunday July 14 2013.