Suffolk Lord attacks ‘revolting’ cereals amid warning obesity is ‘bigger than Covid-19’
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A Suffolk Lord has warned that obesity “is the biggest epidemic we have – bigger and probably more important than Covid-19”.
Lord Marlesford partly blamed the rise of the problems on manufactured cereals, saying he would “encourage the beating of obesity by the sensible eating of natural foods”.
During a speech in the House of Lords, he said: “This is absolutely a matter of better eating and eating more natural foods.
“I am not a vegetarian, but I believe that the simpler the food we eat is, the better.
“One of the great changes was when people stopped having porridge for breakfast.”
You may also want to watch:
While he says lots of cereals introduced subsequently were “very delicious”, he added that many “soon became adulterated with far too much sugar and salt”.
He said some were “quite revolting” - and added: “We must recognise that healthy eating is very important and the key to it is getting the consumer and the producer close together and making as many consumers as possible into producers.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 4 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 8 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 9 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw