Lowestoft: Hole causes part of A12 to close
- Credit: Archant
The A12 in north Lowestoft has partially reopened after its closure for urgent repair work.
The northbound carriageway reopened last night, but the southbound carriageway is likely to remain closed today as work continues to fill in a hole about a foot wide that opened in the road surface.
A section of the A12 on Yarmouth Road by Corton Road was closed on Saturday afternoon.
Engineers from the Highways Agency were called in investigate why the hole had appeared and began repairs.
The northbound carriageway reopened just before 9.30pm on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Clearly signed diversions are in place for southbound traffic via the A1117 (Bentley Drive) and the A1144 (St Peters Street). Motorists can also use Corton Road and Station Road.
A Highways Agency spokesman said: “The southbound carriageway will be reopened as soon as it is safe to do so. While the closure continues, access will be maintained where possible for local schools and businesses.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 9 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
Drivers are advised to check the latest conditions before setting out on a journey by listening to local radio or visiting www.highways.gov.uk/traffic