Lowestoft: Hotel evacuated after fire
MORE than 30 firefighters are this morning battling to contain a blaze at a Lowestoft pub and hotel.
Crews were called to the Sun Rise Inn, in Corton Road, close to the seafront, at about 6.15am after a fire broke out in the roof of the three-storey building.
A Suffolk fire service spokesman said the roof had partially collapsed, and a neighouring hotel was being evacuated as a precaution.
The fire is the second at the property this week.
On Sunday, fire crews spent about two hours putting a blaze in a first floor flat at the hotel, after being called to the scene at 1am on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of was not believed to be suspicious and is thought to have been caused by an electrical faultbut police were called in after fire crews noticed signs of forced entry at the rear of the building.
A Suffolk police spokesman said the matter was being treated as a burglary, although it appears nothing was stolen.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Busy high street taped off by police
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 9 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
As a result of the fire Corton Road has been closed to traffic in both directions.