Lowestoft: Man disqualified from driving after causing death of elderly woman
A MAN from Lowestoft has today been disqualified from driving and fined after admitting causing the death of an elderly woman in Gorleston by careless driving.
Eighty-three-year-old Hazel Watson of Gorleston died at the James Paget Hospital following the collision on the B1370 Middleton Road on the afternoon of Thursday, November 24.
David Cole, 68, of Newlands Close in Lowestoft, was driving a blue Nissan Note which struck Mrs Watson as she crossed Middleton Road between Elmgrove Road and Gloucester Avenue. Mrs Watson was crossing with the use of a wheeled walking frame. A number of passers-by came to her aid in the street but she died in hospital having suffered multiple injuries.
Cole admitted causing death by careless driving at Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court on Thursday, November 8 and was today disqualified from driving for twelve months and fined �200. He must also pay costs.
Steve Matthews from Norfolk Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Team said: “In interview Cole admitted he did not see Mrs Watson in the carriageway and was only aware of the collision because of the noise and his windscreen falling in. Witnesses state she was clearly visible from other vantage points on the road, and a police collision investigator concluded that Cole should have had ample time to see her and react to her presence.
You may also want to watch:
“This case should serve as a reminder to all drivers to stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. This was a journey Cole regularly made but on that day last year, it had a tragic ending. I would like to extend my sympathies to Mrs Watson’s family at this difficult time.”
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival