Lowestoft: Man dragged out of telephone box and robbed
A ROBBER who dragged an 82-year-old man out of a telephone box and punched him up to 20 times in the face as he lay on the ground has been jailed for five years.
The victim, who lives in the Canary Islands but was back in the UK to visit a literary festival, was taken to hospital after the attack and was treated for cuts to his gums and lips and bruising to his face, Ipswich Crown Court heard yesterday.
Before the court was Jay Jenkins, 40, of London Road South, Lowestoft, who admitted robbery on November 2.
Jailing him for five years, Judge John Devaux said: “One can only imagine the pain and anguish that was inflicted on this elderly man.”
Robert Sadd, prosecuting, said the victim of the robbery had been in a telephone kiosk on the seafront in Lowestoft at about 9.30pm when Jenkins entered the kiosk and searched him by “patting him down”.
You may also want to watch:
The victim had told him to stop but Jenkins had grabbed hold of him and there was a scuffle during which Jenkins repeatedly punched the man in the face.
Outside the telephone box the man fell down and Jenkins was seen to punch him up to 20 more times as he lay defenceless on the ground, said Mr Sadd.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
Jenkins had then made off with the victim’s watch and �5 cash.
Ian James, for Jenkins, said his client had a long list of previous convictions. “He would be the first to accept that there is little that can be said here,” said Mr James.