Suffolk officers return to scene of ‘horrendous’ Lowestoft rape one week on
- Credit: Archant
Officers investigating “horrendous” rape allegations in Suffolk last weekend have carried out checks one week on from the attack.
It happened in the early hours of Saturday, December 9, in Kimberley Road, Lowestoft. The victim – a woman aged in her 30s – was walking along Oulton Road at around 4am when a man driving what she describes as a small light or silver coloured car, offered her a lift, which she accepted.
Between 4.15-5.15am the suspect stopped in Kimberley Road, where he is alleged to have raped the victim in the vehicle. She then managed to get out of the car and ran away to get help.
The victim is being supported by specialist trained officers as efforts to identify the offender continue, including forensic work, CCTV and house-to-house inquiries.
An E-fit likeness of the suspect has been issued. He is described as Asian, aged 30-40, short and of slight build.
During the car journey he told the victim he often offered people lifts to “make friends”. Witnesses contacted officers staying they were given a lift in similar circumstances by a man matching the description in Lowestoft shortly before the attack.
Between 1-6am on Saturday morning officers did checks in Kimberley Road and Oulton Road, speaking to 15 people. They also stopped five vehicles, while distributing leaflets on the attack.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 2 Firefighters tackle large blaze near Suffolk recycling centre
- 3 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 4 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 5 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 6 Popular carnival's firework display cancelled
- 7 Road closed as emergency services called to single-vehicle crash
- 8 Fire crews extinguish large playing field fire in Suffolk village
- 9 Suffolk letting agent admits swindling customers out of £80,000
- 10 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
Det Supt Eamonn Bridger said: “We continue to pursue a number of lines of enquiry as part of this investigation and I am grateful to those people who spoke to officers in the early hours of[Saturday] morning – along with local residents – for their assistance.
“I would appeal again for anyone with information about this horrendous attack to contact us immediately, especially if you believe you recognise the man pictured in the E-fit previously issued, or if you have seen a car matching the description given, particularly - but not exclusively - those with a wheel trim missing.”
Anyone who may have been near Kimberley Road or the route taken by the suspect’s vehicle between 4-5.15am on Saturday, December 9, is asked to make contact. This includes anyone who witnessed anything suspicious and anyone who may have dashcam, headcam or CCTV footage. The route take is believed to include – Oulton Road, Church Road, Boston Road, St Peters Street (A1144), Bascule Bridge, Belvedere Road, Horn Hill, Waveney Drive, Durban Road, and Kimberley Road.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Suffolk police on 101 quoting reference 78398/17, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.