Lowestoft rape suspect left UK three days after attack
- Credit: Archant
The suspected perpetrator of a “horrendous” rape in Suffolk has left the country and could take more than a year to extradite, police said.
Detectives investigating an alleged rape in Lowestoft earlier this month say they have identified a suspect - and are now working to bring him back to the UK to face justice.
The attack was reported in the early hours of Saturday, December 9, in Kimberley Road.
The victim – a woman aged in her 30s – was walking along Oulton Road at around 4am when a man driving what she described as a small light or silver coloured car, stopped and offered her a lift.
She accepted as he appeared to be genuine and said he had just given a lift to two other people.
You may also want to watch:
At some time between 4.15am and 5.15am the suspect stopped the car in Kimberley Road, where he is alleged to have raped the victim in the vehicle. She then managed to get out of the car and ran away to get help, following which the police were called.
Officers described the rape as an “horrendous attack” and appealed for information.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 4 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 5 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 6 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 7 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 8 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 9 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 10 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
They have been following several lines of inquiry in connection with the attack, including forensic work,CCTV and house-to-house inquiries.
A suspect has now been identified. However he left the UK three days after the attack happened, which was before he came to the attention of police.
He is now wanted by Suffolk Constabulary and officers will be continuing efforts to bring the individual to justice despite his current location.
Det Supt Eamonn Bridger, the senior investigating officer, said: “We have made excellent progress in this inquiry and are grateful to all the members of the public who have provided us with information for their assistance.
“We have now identified a suspect for this attack and are not currently looking for anyone else in connection with the attack. Unfortunately this individual left the country before he became a person of interest to us, but we are now working to bring him back to the United Kingdom as we are determined to achieve justice for the victim.”
The extradition process is expected to take 12-18 months.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Suffolk police on 101 quoting reference 78398/17, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.