Lowestoft/Southwold: Dad’s moving tribute to daughter Shannley Leaver who died in A12 tragedy
- Credit: Archant
An outgoing schoolgirl killed in a crash on the A12 has left a hole in many people’s lives, her devastated father has said.
Shannley Leaver, 15, was a back-seat passenger in a Citroen Saxo which was in a collision with a Peugeot 106 near Frostenden, between Lowestoft and Southwold.
The Lynn Grove High School pupil, who lived in Gorleston, with her parents Shaun Leaver and Allison Stone and 17-year-old brother Connor, died at the scene on October 8.
“She was outgoing but also very shy when it came to new people,” said Mr Leaver, 42.
“She just loved life, I think, but hated school. I think the only reason she went was to see her friends, and she had a lot.”
On the night she died she had been with her friends to Ipswich, where the 18-year-old driver had been to pick up some car parts.
Mr Leaver did not learn of his daughter’s death until the next day when Miss Stone called as he was working on an offshore rig in Hartlepool.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 3 'Childhood dream' as opening date nears for Suffolk coastal restaurant
- 4 'Ipswich will be my club for the rest of my days' - Chambers on Town return
- 5 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 6 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 7 Matchday Live: Town begin cup campaign as Colchester visit Portman Road
- 8 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 9 Range Rover stolen from home in east Suffolk
- 10 Buildings damaged after reports of people running on rooftops
He said he has been overwhelmed by tributes from Shannley’s friends. who compiled a book of memories, and a wall of remembrance, while around 150 people went to a balloon and lantern release.
In a tribute, her family said: “We will miss you with all our hearts, princess.”
The crash also killed the Peugeot driver, Ronald Gates, 55, from Knodishall.
His passenger and two of the Citroen passengers are now out of hospital. The Citroen driver, an 18-year-old man, is in Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge.
Police inquiries into the crash continue.
Shannley’s funeral will be at Gorleston Crematorium on Thursday at 11.20am.