Lucky couple flee cottage blaze
A COUPLE have told how they escaped a huge blaze at their house after being alerted to the danger by a neighbour.More than 50 firefighters were called yesterday morning to tackle the blaze in a large thatched cottage in Chattisham, near Copdock.
A COUPLE have told how they escaped a huge blaze at their house after being alerted to the danger by a neighbour.
More than 50 firefighters were called yesterday morning to tackle the blaze in a large thatched cottage in Chattisham, near Copdock.
The alarm was sounded by a neighbour who spotted flames and alerted owners, Judith and Peter Everett, by banging on the door.
Mrs Everett, 62, said: “I woke up to my husband shouting 'Grab the cats, the roof is on fire'.
You may also want to watch:
“We hadn't noticed the fire ourselves. I was still in bed and my husband was downstairs having his breakfast.
“The fire was in the roof and the smoke alarms hadn't sounded as the fire was above them. The whole incident is quite shocking and it hasn't really sunk in yet.”
- 1 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 2 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 7 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 8 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
Mr Everett, 60, added: “I was having breakfast and there was a bang on the door. It was the boy next door. He said 'There's a fire in the roof'.
“We are still in a state of shock and there is still so much smoke around, I haven't had a chance to see the extent of the damage. We are waiting for the loss adjuster and I hope he has a large piece of paper and a lot of ink.”
Mr Everett, who has lived at the cottage with his wife for 20 years, praised the “superb” work of the firefighters, adding they had managed to salvage all their downstairs belongings and worked hard to contain the fire.
The couple will now be staying with friends in the village and Mrs Everett said: “Everybody in the village have been so helpful and kind and I would like to thank them.”
Firefighters arrived at the cottage at about 7am to find a well-established blaze in the thatched roof and first floor.
Pockets of villagers gathered in the street as the firefighting operation swang into operation. One neighbour said they could see flames lick along the roof and through the windows.
Divisional Officer Phil Embury, of Suffolk Fire Service, said: “It was a severe fire on the first floor and the majority of the roof was involved.
“Before the fire took hold, we began salvaging and managed to save most of the possessions from the ground floor and many from the first floor.”
The property next door, a semi-detached cottage, was protected by firefighters who kept a spray of jet on it to stop the blaze damaging the property. Gas and electrical engineers were also called to switch off the main supply.