‘Lucky escape’ after Frinton flat fire caused by faulty fridge-freezer
- Credit: Archant
A kitchen in a flat above a bakery has been destroyed after a blaze this morning, believed to have been sparked by a faulty fridge-freezer.
The incident happened at 6.50am in Connaught Avenue, Frinton.
Two fire crews from the town extinguished the blaze, wearing breathing apparatus and using three jets to put it out by 8.27am.
A ventilation fan was used to clear the flat of smoke.
Leading Firefighter Anthony Clement said: “We believe the fire was caused by a fridge freezer. The kitchen was destroyed by the fire.
You may also want to watch:
“There was a smoke alarm in the flat but it had no batteries.
“The two occupants were very lucky because they were woken up by the alarm from the bakery below.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 5 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 6 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 7 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 8 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 9 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 10 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
“The kitchen fire would have cut off their escape from the property, if they had not been woken. They were very fortunate.”
Each year Essex County Fire & Rescue Service (ECFRS) is called to around 500 kitchen fires, nearly 10 a week.
The brigade recommend the best way to stay safe in the home is to fit and regularly test smoke alarms.
If you would like to arrange for a free home fire safety visit, during which smoke alarms will be fitted free of charge, then call ECFRS 0300 303 0088 or email email@example.com.