Major on bail after alleged teen rape
AN ARMY major who works at Colchester Garrison has been arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage boy. Michael Hunt, 46, was arrested at his Colchester home by Essex Police's child abuse investigation unit on May 7 before being released on police bail.
AN ARMY major who works at Colchester Garrison has been arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage boy.
Michael Hunt, 46, was arrested at his Colchester home by Essex Police's child abuse investigation unit on May 7 before being released on police bail.
Essex Police said yesterday the arrest had come after a prolonged period of alleged abuse of the teenager.
They also said the alleged victim's exact age is not being released at this stage.
You may also want to watch:
The major is not attached to any of the regiments currently based at the Garrison but is part of the staff permanently based at the barracks in Colchester.
A spokesman for Essex Police said: “On May 7, a 46-year-old man from Colchester was arrested on suspicion of rape.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 6 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 7 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 10 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
“After questioning he was released on police bail pending police enquiries until June 19.”
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said they would be assisting Essex Police with their enquiries.
He said: “A soldier has been arrested for the alleged assault of a minor - Essex Police are the lead investigators.
“It is an ongoing investigation so it would be inappropriate to comment any further and we will not be giving any further personal details.”
An Army spokesman confirmed an arrest had taken place but said he could not comment any further on events.