Man accused of child abduction attempt is cleared

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: GREGG BROWN

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: GREGG BROWN - Credit: Gregg Brown

A 58-year-old man accused of attempting to abduct a nine-year-old girl from outside a supermarket in Lowestoft has been cleared after the case against him was dropped.

Paul Andrews, of no fixed address, was arrested following an alleged incident at North Quay Retail Park on June 10 after a woman reported that a man had approached her daughter as they stood outside Morrisons supermarket about 8.10pm.

Andrews, who has been held in custody, pleaded not guilty to attempting the abduct the girl from her mother.

Andrew Thompson, prosecution, said a decision to offer no further evidence had been taken after he advised the Crown Prosecution Service there wasn’t sufficient evidence to continue the prosecution. Judge Rupert Overbury recorded a not guilty verdict on the court record.

Robert Pollington, for Andrews, said his client’s three dogs had been in kennels while he had been held in custody and he applied for the £630 cost to be refunded to him.

Judge Overbury said a written application should be submitted to the court for consideration.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter