Man arrested after alleged attempted rape in Witham
A man has been arrested by police investigating an alleged attempted rape in Witham in north-east Essex.
A woman, aged in her 20s, was walking in an alleyway near Bramble Road when a man allegedly attempted to rape her, Essex Police said.
He allegedly approached her from behind before physically assaulting her. During the alleged incident, she was able to fight him off and the man ran off in the direction of the park next to Bramble Road, police said.
The alleged incident took place at around 8.45am on Wednesday (January 3).
The woman has been safeguarded and is being supported by specialist officers, a force spokesman said.
A 23-year-old man from Witham has been arrested on suspicion of attempted rape and remains in police custody for questioning, Essex Police said last night.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Essex Police on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 6 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 7 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 8 Essex Sainsbury's car park cordoned off after police incident
- 9 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 10 Paramedics called after tree falls on car in east Suffolk