Man arrested after collision seriously injures woman
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested after a collision in Colchester in the early hours of this morning.
The collision happened just before 4am on Berechurch Hall Road and involved one vehicle, a silver Vauxhall Corsa.
The injured woman, who comes from Tiptree was taken to Colchester Hospital but has been transferred to Queen’s Hospital in Romford where her condition is described as serious but stable.
A 21-year-old man from Colchester was arrested at the scene on suspicion of driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs.
He is currently receiving treatment at Colchester General Hospital for injuries, which are not believed to be serious.
The road was closed while forensic examinations took place and the vehicle was recovered. It reopened shortly before 10am.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service were called to the incident at 3.56am, sending a crew from Colchester and Tiptree to the scene.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at popular park in east Suffolk town
- 2 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 3 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's Carabao Cup exit
- 5 Suffolk villagers say 70 homes development creating 'dust storm'
- 6 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 7 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their Colchester loss
- 8 Keogh: Why I've joined Town and what I'm here to do
- 9 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 10 Man bitten by dog during fight in east Suffolk street
One woman was trapped in a car, which was on its roof. Crews stabilised the vehicle and used specialist cutting equipment to remove a door to free the casualty by 4.29am.
Any witnesses to the collision are asked to contact Pc Jonathan Ward at Stanway Roads Policing Unit on 101.