Man breaks into Colchester home and threatens ‘frail’ resident before stealing cash
A man in his 70s has been left “shaken” after a robber threatened him in his home before making off with a two-figure sum of cash.
The male offender forced entry into the property in Colchester’s Bergholt Road at around 8.40pm on Wednesday, September 20, while the “frail” homeowner was watching television in his bedroom.
Essex Police has released details about this crime today.
Investigating officer Dc Hannah Richardson, of Colchester Criminal Investigations Department, said: “The property was in darkness because the victim, who is frail and vulnerable, was watching television in his bedroom with only this light showing.
“The suspect was heard by the victim knocking on windows which we believe was possibly to establish if anyone was home, before throwing a rock through a window at the back of the property.
You may also want to watch:
“It is not known if the suspect attempted to gain access through the damaged window but we know he entered the property through an insecure front door.
“The victim was unhurt but was left shaken by the incident.”
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
Anyone with information is asked to call police 101 quoting incident 1034 of 20/09 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.