Man caught trying to smuggle 20 inch sword in walking stick through Stansted Airport
- Credit: Archant
A man who tried to smuggle a 20 inch sword through Stansted Airport by disguising it as a walking stick has been sentenced.
Abdirisag Mahamduguray, 49, of Argyll Avenue, Southall, Middlesex attempted to take the blade through the search area of the Essex airport on March 15.
The discovery was made during a routine scan of the walking stick as Mahamduguray attempted to leave Stansted on a flight to Europe.
He was arrested and later charged with possessing a dangerous article in an aerodome, and pleaded guilty at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on March 16.
Mahamduguray was sentenced to 28 days imprisonment suspended for six months, and an order was made for the sword to be destroyed.
You may also want to watch:
Inspector Andrew Simpson, stationed at Stansted Airport, said: “The safety of passengers travelling through the airport is the priority of my team. We take security breaches such as this extremely seriously and will continue to do so.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 9 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue