Man charged following stand-off with police in Bungay
- Credit: Archant
A 25-year-old man has been charged with assaulting a police officer following a stand-off with police in Bungay at the weekend.
The incident began at around 2.40pm on Saturday, May 12, when a vehicle failed to stop for officers in Trinity Street, Bungay.
A brief police pursuit took place and officers found the vehicle a short time later in Garden Close.
According to a police spokeswoman, the single occupant of the BMW 520 car then got out of the vehicle and officers attempted to detain him.
A second person, a teenage boy, approached officers and helped the man break free.
You may also want to watch:
During this, an officer was assaulted and one sustained facial injuries.
The suspects then ran into a house and a short time later the man came to the door with a knife and made threats to officers.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 8 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
Officers from the roads policing and firearms unit (RPFOU) attended and, following a short negotiation, two people were arrested at the scene.
Lithfur Ahmed, of Garden Close, Bungay, has been charged with assaulting a police officer and using threatening or abusive behaviour towards two police officers.
A 17-year-old boy from Bungay, arrested on suspicion of obstructing police, was released under investigation while enquiries continue.
Ahmed has been bailed to appear before Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court on June 13.