Man charged following stand-off with police in Bungay
- Credit: Archant
A 25-year-old man has been charged with assaulting a police officer following a stand-off with police in Bungay at the weekend.
The incident began at around 2.40pm on Saturday, May 12, when a vehicle failed to stop for officers in Trinity Street, Bungay.
A brief police pursuit took place and officers found the vehicle a short time later in Garden Close.
According to a police spokeswoman, the single occupant of the BMW 520 car then got out of the vehicle and officers attempted to detain him.
A second person, a teenage boy, approached officers and helped the man break free.
During this, an officer was assaulted and one sustained facial injuries.
The suspects then ran into a house and a short time later the man came to the door with a knife and made threats to officers.
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 3 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 4 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 5 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 6 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 7 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 8 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 9 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 10 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
Officers from the roads policing and firearms unit (RPFOU) attended and, following a short negotiation, two people were arrested at the scene.
Lithfur Ahmed, of Garden Close, Bungay, has been charged with assaulting a police officer and using threatening or abusive behaviour towards two police officers.
A 17-year-old boy from Bungay, arrested on suspicion of obstructing police, was released under investigation while enquiries continue.
Ahmed has been bailed to appear before Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court on June 13.