Man charged with planning terrorist attack on US military bases in the UK
- Credit: Archant
A man is due to appear in court charged with plotting a terror attack on US military in Britain and planning to travel to Syria to join Islamic State militants.
Junead Ahmed Khan, 24, is due to appear at Westminister Magistrates’ Court later today.
The charges do not state which base or airfields were being targeted by Khan, but a planned July 4 Independence Day celebration event at RAF Feltwell, involving USAF bases at Mildenhall and Lakenheath, was cancelled due to a terror threat earlier this month.
Few details were given at the time, but a spokesman described the threats as “local”.
The attack charge relates to May 10 and July 14 this year.
You may also want to watch:
Khan, from Luton, has also been charged with planning to travel to Syria to join Islamic State militants between August 1 last year and May 10 this year.
Khan’s uncle Shazib Ahmed Khan, 22, also faces a charge over plans to travel to Syria.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 7 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 10 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
Deborah Walsh, deputy head of counter terrorism at the Crown Prosecution Service, said the charges follow an investigation by Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism command.
She said: “We have concluded there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to charge Junead Khan and Shazib Khan with the intention of committing acts of terrorism.
“It is alleged that Junead Khan and Shazib Khan had been planning on travelling to Syria to join the proscribed organisation Islamic State.
“It is further alleged that Junead Khan was planning a terrorist attack on US military personnel in the UK and he has been charged with an additional terrorism offence to reflect this.
“The decision to prosecute was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors.”
A third man in his 30s from Hertfordshire arrested at the same time as the Khans was released without charge last night.