Man charged with planning terrorist attack on US military bases in the UK

The Red Arrows at a previous US Air Force Independence Day celebrations at RAF Feltwell.

The Red Arrows at a previous US Air Force Independence Day celebrations at RAF Feltwell. - Credit: Archant

A man is due to appear in court charged with plotting a terror attack on US military in Britain and planning to travel to Syria to join Islamic State militants.

The RAF Feltwell carnival during the July 4 celebrations in 2014. The United States flag flying. Pi

The RAF Feltwell carnival during the July 4 celebrations in 2014. The United States flag flying. Picture: Denise Bradley - Credit: copyright: Archant 2014

Junead Ahmed Khan, 24, is due to appear at Westminister Magistrates’ Court later today.

The charges do not state which base or airfields were being targeted by Khan, but a planned July 4 Independence Day celebration event at RAF Feltwell, involving USAF bases at Mildenhall and Lakenheath, was cancelled due to a terror threat earlier this month.

Few details were given at the time, but a spokesman described the threats as “local”.

The attack charge relates to May 10 and July 14 this year.


You may also want to watch:


Khan, from Luton, has also been charged with planning to travel to Syria to join Islamic State militants between August 1 last year and May 10 this year.

Khan’s uncle Shazib Ahmed Khan, 22, also faces a charge over plans to travel to Syria.

Most Read

Deborah Walsh, deputy head of counter terrorism at the Crown Prosecution Service, said the charges follow an investigation by Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism command.

She said: “We have concluded there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to charge Junead Khan and Shazib Khan with the intention of committing acts of terrorism.

“It is alleged that Junead Khan and Shazib Khan had been planning on travelling to Syria to join the proscribed organisation Islamic State.

“It is further alleged that Junead Khan was planning a terrorist attack on US military personnel in the UK and he has been charged with an additional terrorism offence to reflect this.

“The decision to prosecute was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors.”

A third man in his 30s from Hertfordshire arrested at the same time as the Khans was released without charge last night.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus