Accused ‘put hands over ears’ as child sex assault claims were read out in court
A former Suffolk man begged police to stop as officers read out allegations of child sex assault to him, a court has heard.
During police interviews Stephen Grant, who was living in Hodson Close, Bury St Edmunds, at the time of the allegations in the 1990s, denied being sexually attracted to children, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
He told officers that being told about the allegations made by the alleged victims, who had been regular visitors to his house, had been “the biggest shock of his life.”
The court heard that when a police officer was outlining the allegations made by the girls to Grant he said: “Don’t read me any more. I don’t want to hear any more.”
In the interviews, which were read to the court, the officer explained to Grant he needed to hear the allegations so he could give his side of the story but he had then covered his ears with his hands and was seen to be shaking.
You may also want to watch:
“All I can say is it’s all rubbish,” said Grant.
He told police he hadn’t touched any of the girls inappropriately and accused them of “telling a pack of lies”.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 10 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
Grant, now aged 60, of Stretham Road, Wilburton, Ely, has denied ten offences of indecent assault and three of indecency with a child in respect of one of the alleged victims between 1995 and 1999 when she was aged between eight and 12, and one offence of indecent assault in relation to another girl between 1989 and 1991 when she was six or seven.
Grant has also denied attempted rape, indecency with a child and two offences of indecent assault on a third alleged victim between 1990 and 1996 when she was aged between five and ten.
On Thursday Judge John Devaux directed the jury to find Grant not guilty of three offences of indecent assault in respect of one of the girls.
Stephen Rose, prosecuting, said Grant lived alone and young children living in the area near him in Bury St Edmunds knew his door was always open and treats were on offer.
The trial continues.