Man died after blaze at his home
A MAN died in a fire at his home after stacks of papers and bags piled up around his lounge caught fire.Howard Brown, 73, of Meadow Way, Jaywick, was found dead by firefighters called to a blaze at his bungalow on April 26, this year.
A MAN died in a fire at his home after stacks of papers and bags piled up around his lounge caught fire.
Howard Brown, 73, of Meadow Way, Jaywick, was found dead by firefighters called to a blaze at his bungalow on April 26, this year.
An inquest into his death held at Weeley yesterdayheard Mr Brown, who lived alone, died from inhaling fumes from the fire.
A forensic scientist, Justin Lewis, carried out an investigation at Mr Brown's home to find out how the fire started.
You may also want to watch:
He found most damage caused by the fire was in the lounge, where there was a three-bar electric fire against a wall.
Mr Lewis said he took the electric fire back to the laboratory, tested it and found it to be working normally.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 6 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 8 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 9 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 10 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
"There was a large amount of Mr Brown's possessions stacked up on the floor to some depth. Over the years Mr Brown collected many items, including papers, bags and other things," said Mr Lewis.
He added: "They were stacked very close to the fire. This is the most likely cause of fire at the premises."
It appears Mr Brown discovered the fire but was unable to escape because he was overcome by the smoke and fumes, said Mr Lewis.
Essex Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray recorded a verdict of accidental death.
At the time of the tragedy, firefighters described living conditions in the bungalow as "unbelievable" and said they had had difficulty finding spare floor space to tread on.
They found Mr Brown's body surrounded by model trains and aeroplanes he had made himself.
Neighbours described him as a "recluse". CindiWarn, who lived next door, said: "He was a very nice and considerate man, even though he rarely spoke to anybody.
"He wouldn't come out much. He was very sheltered. All he used to do was make his models."