Man died following restraint by police

AN investigation was under way today after a man died after being restrained by police who were called in to help an ambulance crew.

Grant Sherlock

AN investigation was under way today after a man died after being restrained by police who were called in to help an ambulance crew.

Graham Plumbly died on Saturday after police were called to a property in Elderberry Road, Ipswich.

An Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) team spent the weekend probing the 51-year-old's death but was today expected to recommend that no further inquiries were required.

You may also want to watch:

It is believed that Mr Plumbly died after being restrained by officers inside the Ravenswood home.

They had been called by an ambulance crew from the East of England Ambulance Service who had been sent to the house following a 999 call at 11.58am. When the crew arrived they reported being confronted by a man who was behaving in a volatile manner.

Most Read

A spokesman for the ambulance service said a “grade one” call - the highest priority - was made to Suffolk police for immediate assistance.

He said: “We were called to a report of a male fitting. We arrived at the address at 12.10pm. Then we got a note to say the patient had been drinking and we requested police assistance as soon as possible.” He said assistance was requested for the safety of the ambulance crew. Police arrived soon after and restrained Mr Plumbly.

The ambulance spokesman added: “Then the patient went into cardiac arrest and was taken to hospital, but nothing more could be done.”

Desperate attempts were made at the scene and on the way to the hospital to revive Mr Plumbly but they were unsuccessful.

The death was immediately referred to the IPCC in line with guidelines which require police to call in independent investigators when a death occurs either in custody or during or soon after contact with officers.

A resident of Elderberry Road recalled seeing police activity in the street throughout Saturday afternoon. She said: “I got home from shopping early in the afternoon and there was an ambulance outside the house. From then on police cars kept coming and going. Police officers went knocking on doors and went into a couple of houses.”

A spokesman for Suffolk police said: “Police were called at 12.17pm on Saturday to assist the ambulance service with a male person at an address in Ipswich.

“Following guidelines on deaths that occur during or after any police contact we immediately referred it to the IPCC for consideration.”

The ambulance service said it would “fully cooperate” with the investigation.

- Do you want to pay tribute to Graham Plumbly? Did you witness Saturday's events? Call The Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324788 or you can send an e-mail to

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter